Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tales of Teaching

I have been filling in for Mrs D. at the school. (She is greatly missed.) I have enjoyed being there with the kids. I don't know if I bring out the funny in kids or if they bring out the funny in me. We are coming to the end of the quarter and Christmas break is starts soon. We were trying to get the kids through their tests for the ones who need them because there may not be enough time after Christmas break to finish. When we return from break we want it to be smooth and relaxing! So I was helping Sam today. He knew he was leaving for Florida after school today; and he was already in "Florida." So I had to keep saying "Okay, Sam, look at your work."
Out of the blue, he says, "Look! I have to tell you something! But... don't tell anyone! I have an imaginary penguin." So I said, "I like penguins. Do you think you can show your penguin how to do this math problem?" He giggles and says, "Oh! I know you ARE funny!" MUCH time lapses... and I was still sitting there and he starts coughing and making weird throat noises. Then he stops and turns to look at me. His eyes were big and he was very serious. He says, "I assidentally, swallowed my eraser." And I very profoundly said, "Well, it's gone now!" He then without another word turns around and gets to work. I like to died laughing!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe Sam needs to swallow erasers more often if it gets him to work:) How funny!